As the City’s chief administrative officer, the City Manager leads an innovative, fast-paced and complex public-sector organization. Accountable to City Council, the CAO reflects a community-centric approach to leading the strategies, business plans, programs and services that support Council and community priorities. The City Manager is responsible for shaping an organizational culture that supports the City’s most valuable resources – its workforce. As part of an award-winning organization, Coquitlam employees looking to emerging trends and best practices, and are encouraged to be innovative, progressive, collaborative and results-oriented. As the City’s most senior staff member, the City Manager also plays a key strategic role with regional, provincial and other related agencies advocating for Coquitlam on significant issues affecting the City.
As the ideal candidate, you will bring:
• Proven leadership skills with the ability to build high-performing, collaborative teams, and mentor a diverse group of functional experts.
• Very strong relationship and communication skills that showcase an ability to work across broad service areas and inspire a progressive, supportive and customer-centric approach and culture.
• An ability to champion, navigate and effectively implement change and adopt new approaches in order to meet the needs of a growing community, within the context of a large and complex environment.
• A measurable track record in making a difference as it pertains to equity, diversity and inclusion for both the work culture and environment, as well as public policy and decision making.
• A core value of leading with trust and integrity, and an ability to ensure that value is instilled throughout an organization.
• Proven negotiation skills, backed up by the business and financial acumen to understand the short and long-term implications of the terms and language in policy, contract and other significant decisions and agreements.