To lead the development, implementation and oversight of the strategies, plans, and protocols for issues management, stakeholder engagement and relationship building for Public Health Ontario. To provide strategic policy analysis and environmental scanning of new developments, trends and issues in the public health and broader health system. This senior level role involves extensive coordination and liaison across PHO and engagement with multiple external clients and stakeholders in a wide range of jurisdictions often related to matters of substantial complexity, confidentiality, potential risk and visibility.
- Develops and leads implementation of PHO's corporate issues management policy, framework, processes, protocols and standards, providing a centralized point of contact and advice to staff and leadership in other PHO areas to ensure consistent messaging and timely corporate response to complaints or concerns raised by clients, stakeholders and the public.
- Leads the approach and responses to inquiries from non-core stakeholders (e.g. members of the public)
- Leads the responses to enterprise risk issues in accordance with PHO's issues, queries and complaints process
- Coordinates quarterly reporting of complaints to PHO as part of PHO's performance indicator reporting process: manages database of complaints, reviews and analyzes/complaints, develops quarterly report and identifies trends and recommend appropriate approaches for their resolution in accordance with PHO's enterprise risk management framework.
- Leads the preparation of letters, presentations, speaking notes and briefing notes for PHO executive briefings and engagements with external audiences
- Mentors other team members on stakeholder relations approaches and supports the development of team resources
- Provides strategic project management/secretariat support for external advisory committees
- Conducts systematic environmental scanning and analysis of system level developments in public health and the broader health system and their impact and relevance to PHO, and provides strategic policy advice and recommendations to inform enterprise level strategy and planning.
- Develops and leads implementation of PHO's Stakeholder Engagement framework to ensure a strategic approach to all enterprise level stakeholder relationships and outreach.
- Leads the development and ensures currency of a calendar of key stakeholder meetings and maintains a forward scan of potential PHO outreach activities.
- Provides advice and guidance to internal clients on stakeholder engagement and related analysis and tactical planning, including the development of supporting products, resources and tools.
- Conducts the analysis of existing and potential stakeholders to develop synopses, determine key stakeholders of critical importance to PHO's mandate and strategic directions.
- Contributes to the ongoing development of PHO's client satisfaction survey processes, in the context of the organization's overarching performance measurement framework.
- Leads Initiates and builds relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in the public health and health system for ongoing outreach in support of PHO planning and to keep management informed of developments that impact PHO.
- Develops the performance metrics to measure and report on corporate issues management and stakeholder relations in meeting PHO's overall strategy, plans and priorities.
- Leads and or provides strategic support to enterprise level special projects as assigned by the Manager (e.g. stakeholder consultation plan for PHO's strategic plan development, various quality improvement initiatives)
- Develops and nurtures networks and alliances to enhance cooperative and timely access to appropriate expertise both internally and externally.
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships within PHO and with external stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Knowledge of and skills in the interpretation and application of legislation to identify impacts to various stakeholders.
- Knowledge of performance measurement methods to develop performance metrics for issues, queries and complaints, client/customer satisfaction.
- Understanding of the diverse range of issues, emerging trends and developments that directly impact the public health and health system as a whole (e.g., climate change).
- Knowledge of, and expertise in the application of the principles and practices stakeholder engagement environmental scanning, trends forecasting, and issues analysis in order to support various PHO initiatives, particularly those with organization-wide implications.
- Knowledge of stakeholder consultation, engagement and management principles/strategies in order to develop PHO's stakeholder engagement framework for a strategic approach to all stakeholder engagements and relationships.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Ontario's public health sector and broader health system, and of provincial government processes.
- Strategic thinking skills to enable effective participation in initiatives that require thought leadership, to contribute advice and expertise for issues management
- Leadership skills to work effectively with individuals at all levels both within and external to PHO
- Diplomacy skills to effectively manage conflict, gain buy in for initiatives and assert advice and leadership on initiatives
- Analytical and problem solving skills to define issues, options and recommendations for enterprise issues management and/or develop business cases
- Project management skills and the ability to lead initiatives from conceptualization to realization in order to lead, manage and/or participate in a variety of projects.
- Research, planning and problem solving skills
- Written communication and presentation skills to translate technical information into stories/narratives for non-scientific, executive audiences in the form of presentations, briefing notes and/or speaking notes
- Oral communications skills to effectively participate in briefings with senior/executive management
- Skill and expertise in working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary-teams.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio) .
Education and Experience-
- Master's degree in Health Administration, Public Health, Public Administration, Health Sciences or related discipline
- 7 -10 years of senior level experience in issues management, stakeholder engagement and/or policy analysis within Ontario's government context.
- Experience developing enterprise-level strategic frameworks, standards and processes
- Experience developing briefing material for senior management/executive audiences (e.g. presentations, speaking notes, briefing notes)
- Experience providing analysis, options, recommendations and advice to management for issues management
Attributes and Competencies-
- Provide advice and guidance to internal clients on stakeholder engagement and related analysis and tactical planning, including the development of supporting products, resources and tools.
- Liaises with program and corporate areas across the organization to keep apprised of current activities, issue and priorities.
- Contributes to the ongoing development of PHO's client satisfaction survey processes.
- Ensures the President and other executives, are provided with stakeholder profiles/backgrounders and other briefing material as applicable in advance of key stakeholder meetings.
- Ensures mutually beneficial and productive working relationships with stakeholders in the public health and health system to lead stakeholder consultations, outreach and to provide advice on key PHO initiatives.